Ludlow Castle built
1066 CE.
Shown on the map at 52.367°, -2.723°.
Ludlow Castle is a ruined medieval fortification in the town of Ludlow in the English county of Shropshire, standing on a promontory overlooking the River Teme. The castle was probably founded by Walter de Lacy after the Norman Conquest and was one of the first stone castles to be built in England. During the The Anarchy a civil war of the 12th century, the castle changed hands several times between the de Lacys and rival claimants and was further fortified with a Great Tower and a large outer bailey. In the mid-13th century, Ludlow was passed on to Geoffrey de Geneville, who rebuilt part of the inner bailey, and the castle played a part in the Second Barons' War. Roger Mortimer acquired the castle in 1301, further extending the internal complex of buildings. Richard, Duke of York, inherited the castle in 1425, and it became a symbol of Yorkist authority during the Wars of the Roses. When Richard's son, Edward IV, seized the throne in 1461 it passed into the ownership of the Crown. Ludlow Castle was chosen as the seat of the Council of Wales and the Marches, acting as the capital of Wales and it was extensively renovated in the 16th century.
Text from the Wikipedia article Ludlow Castle, licensed CC BY-SA 4.0.